Sunday, September 25, 2011

"Find Your Howl" and my inspirational lyrics

http://changethis.com/manifesto/51.01.YourHowl/pdf/51.01.YourHowl.pdf


In this passage, Flaum shares a life experience that grew to be more significant and representational than he believed at the time. His friend had written a cyclical story about a tiger that jumped its cage but always woke up in another zoo in another cage. Flaum realized that this represented the struggles of life and that we cannot jump out of our problems, but we must persist through them or “under the cage” to truly escape to freedom. His idea was that we must embrace and immerse ourselves in our troubles rather than run from them.



"10,000 Fists"
by DISTURBED

Survivor
Survivor

One more goddamn day when I know what I want
And my want will be considered tonight, considered tonight
Just another day when all that I want
Will mark me as a sinner tonight, I'm a sinner tonight, yeah

[Chorus]
People can no longer cover their eyes
If this disturbs you then walk away
You will remember the night you were struck by the sight of
Ten Thousand fists in the air

Power un-restrained dead on the mark
Is what we will deliver tonight, deliver tonight
Pleasure fused with pain this triumph of the soul
will make you shiver tonight, will make you shiver tonight, yeah

[Chorus]

We are the ones that will open your mind
Leave the weak and the haunted behind [4x]

[Chorus]

Ten Thousand fists in the air
Ten Thousand fists in the air


            This song is a particular favorite of mine along with its artist, Disturbed. The band’s hard rock/metal feel is aggressive but purposeful, in which I personally connect well with. The song itself, along with many of their songs, has a deep message. Their lyrics not only fit with the style of their music, but they are quite inspirational and are eye-openers for many people who do not recognize certain problems or aspects of the world.
            The song “Ten Thousand Fists” speaks to me as a creative person because its main message, in my interpretation, is to be a non-conformist. One can observe this very much so in the main chorus. I interpret this as: This is what I have made, this is what I am doing, or this is who I am and it doesn’t matter if anyone has a problem with it. It speaks to the audience to follow what they believe in or be strong in what they have created no matter who accepts it. Also, the line “ten thousand fists in the air” seems symbolic to me as well. I picture this as not the number of followers or believers in what the band does or the idea they portray. I see ten thousand fists as the force of the band’s own confidence and belief in itself. It comes off as expressing the idea that it doesn’t matter how many fight it, it is worthless to persuade or bring them down because opponents would be fighting against such a force that it would make it impossible.
            If someone can have the force and confidence of that amount, what they create, are, believe in, or speak will be of the utmost amount of strength. As a creative person, this song inspires me to create what I want, what I believe is a good idea, and what appeals to my own interests. It inspires me to be the individual person I was made to be and not to conform to uniformity. As a creative person, I should have confidence in what I make. There will always be people who dislike my creations, who disagree with my message, or who want to change my style. It doesn’t mean that I should hate these people, but it means that I should do what I believe is right and that I should love my own creations.
            The expression of “survivor” in the beginning of the song, I feel, expresses that they have survived the criticism, persuasion, and corruption of the world. There does not seem to be a message that influences feelings against these things (they will exists not matter what), but that they do not hold sway over the band. As creative people, we must adopt this belief. There will always be criticism, dislike, and persuasion to change our ideas or thoughts. However, if we can block out the negative side of these forces, our own force of self-confidence will always be the victor.
            Altogether, these lyrics inspire me to create what I want and what is in my interests in my own style. It speaks that I should be stronger than the forces that oppose me. I do not need to fight or strike the forces against me down, but I can continue with my own way without letting those forces affect me. If I can have a mind with the strength of ten thousand fists, then there are no limits on the creative potential of my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment